- "Thor Strindberg. And what was your name again? Well, one thing is clear: we are not going to be friends."
- —Thor Strindberg, defining himself in the game lobby
Thor Strindberg is the CEO of Strindberg Inc. a subsidiary of Global Trust. He is a wealthy Tycoon and produces 18% of the energy used by Global Trust Inc. He is the designated "player rival" and thus very jealous and critical of everything the player does both in the Campaign and in Continuous Games. His nickname is The Rival, the track heard when focusing on one of his islands is called Grinding Teeth.
- "100,000 tons in 2 years is no problem at all, Strindberg.' 'Think of the schedule, Strindberg.' 'No delays, Strindberg.' 'We expect total commitment, Strindberg.' --- I can hear their voices... At night, when I'm tossing and turning in bed and can't sleep... [whispered] they're after me!"
- —Thor Strindberg
Once, Thor Strindberg was a very respected Tycoon and he was put in very high positions like the leadership of Site 13. There, it was his job to make sure Global Trust strictly adhered to its two-year plans. To be able to reach them, Dr. Tori Bartok was to design a special turbine for the Hydroelectric Power Plant at the site.
The special turbine was installed, but because Strindberg neglected advice and allowed the dam break (see below), he was fired. Strindberg now wants revenge on both you and Dr. Bartok.
Appraisal in the CampaignEdit
- "Don't talk to me about that Bartok. It was her turbine costing my job back on Plant 13. I'll never forgive her. NEVER!"
- —Thor Strindberg to the player
Mr. Strindberg is initially merely brisk and pragmatic, but evidently more concerned with the short-term benefits of an action rather than the potential risks or long-term consequences, as is seen when he rushes to install a new generator part in the Hydroelectric Dam found at Site 13. After the Dam broke, he attempted to shift the blame onto the player and Engineer Peterson, trying to protect himself. He becomes progressively more aggressive and impatient, and is eventually expelled from his position at Site 13 by Rufus Thorne.
In Chapter 3, Mission 2 of the campaign, Strindberg is tasked to help build a war fleet for Rufus Thorne but the fleet was destroyed by F.A.T.H.E.R.'s submarines. This forced Thorne to place the player in charge of Strindberg's job. A string of sabotages followed and the saboteur is later revealed to be none other than Strindberg. Strindberg was captured and sent for disciplinary action for the affair.
As said, Thor Strindberg will be a constant thorn in the player's side whenever he is around. It is made clear that he dislikes the player in nearly every interaction. Even completing quests for him is often met with suspicion. He is incredibly difficult to get along with on any difficulty level. He doesn't like you and won't try to hide it. Nearly everything you do will make him mad.
He offers little for trading, and he has high prices on what he does sell (no items). His settlements heavily reduce the Ecobalance and on his main island the ecobalance will go down to around -900 and can in fact cause Tornadoes even with "Environmental Disasters" set to easy.
On easy difficulty Thor begins and expands quite slowly. His first island will be built up over the course of approximately 2 hours and he won't begin aggressively expanding until after his main island is completely established with around -700 to -900 Ecobalance. He will spread out to at least one or two islands during this time.
While he practically begins with both a dock and Airport he is slow to build up a large scale military force. However by the time his main island is established he will have a fairly strong navy including a Colossus or two. His airforce will not be nearly as developed though with only a few Hawks and Choppers.
If you happen to have Dr. Tori Bartok on your map he will focus all his aggression on her unless you have a sizable military force. Easy is also the only level of difficulty Tori can successfully handle Thor's aggression. Beyond easy she will often be crushed.
At medium difficulty Thor is akin to a skilled and aggressive player who happens to cheat.
He will expand his city at a moderate rate, about as fast as human players do, and he will begin to spread to new islands relatively quickly as well. He pays more attention to the player at this level and will often be commenting about your low taxes and growing population however he won't begin making demands until you start building a military. At that point, if your influence is still at 0, he will often threaten war if you do not listen to his demands.
He will begin building his military within the first few minutes of the game and since he starts with an airport he will begin to pop out Choppers within a half hour. While he initially has a large advantage if the player can expand quick enough this advantage can be negated before Strindberg becomes sour and declares war on you. However those who "turtle" will find him rather difficult, at least initially, simply because of his air units.
Again, if you happen to have Dr. Tori Bartok on your map he will focus most all his aggression on her until you have a sizable military force.
Facing Strindberg on hard is like playing against a developer, who cheats, unlocks all items, and hates your guts.
At this level Thor will begin expanding his city and his military immediately after starting. He wastes no time in building a large air force and navy and will expand them almost constantly. While he doesn't begin spreading to new islands any more or less fast than on medium he is far more critical of the player. Everything and anything you do will make him mad and might cause a war.
Regardless of Tori's presence on the map you will have his full, undivided, attention with regards to everything. War with him happens quickly, and it happens frequently. Sometimes, regardless of your influence with him he will declare war anyways.
In order to compete with Thor at this level the player will not only have to be skilled, but be able to expand rapidly and quickly enough to defend against air raids within the first hour.
Interaction with other NPCsEdit
- "Tori Bartok is young, attractive, has a brilliant mind, and is also reasonably successful. She may only be in her early 20s but she already has everything I've ever dreamed of. In short: I HATE HER!"
- —Thor Strindberg
Aside from hating you, Thor also dislikes Dr. Tori Bartok greatly as said and will frequently declare war on her no matter his difficulty level. Since he is designed to challenge the player he can often devastate Tori even when he is a lower difficultly than her.
Going to war against Tori and destroying her vehicles is one of the easiest ways to gain favor with Thor. He will often demand the player stop trading with her and will even request her complete destruction.
Thor Strindberg likes you going to war with Dr. Tori Bartok and destroying her vehicles. He also appreciates making your inhabitants pay high taxes or simply destroying your own high-level Residences.
He doesn't like you letting your inhabitants pay low taxes or letting your population grow. Settling new and especially his islands will also lower you influence with him, as well as building new military vehciles and having more than a few military vehicles at all. In short, simply existing will lower your influence with him significantly.
Strindberg offers the following diplomatic actions: Declare War, Lobbying, Price Dumping, Stop Expansion, Investment and Grace Period.
- Price Dumping makes sure that goods bought from him are cheaper.
- Stop Expansion requires him to ask you for permission before expanding.
- Investment lets you invest money with him for 30 minutes with the potential to either make a profit or lose a portion of the invested money. The profit and losses are reflected on your balance ticker.
- Grace Period prevents him from declaring war for a period of time.
How to DefeatEdit
- "Only death... Makes this shame... Tolerable..."
- —Thor Strindberg when he is defeated
There are numerous strategies to beat NPCs, but these are guaranteed to work. Pick the first one if you don't mind being cheap, pick the second one if you want to beat him "fair and square".
The easiest ways to defeat Thor (and any computer player) is to simply "lock" the map at the beginning of your continuous game. This strategy exploits two specific AI behaviors:
- The AI player will act as if you aren't present until you discover his/her island or click on one of his/her ships.
- The AI player will not settle any island that the human player already settled.
What this means is if you act quickly and settle ALL the uninhabited islands on the map at the start of your game (without discovering the AI player, of course) - the AI player will simply ignore you while you use your vast empire to build up your military strength. When you are ready to face him (say... after a squad of Sharks and two or three squads of choppers?), then you can "discover" his main island. His defeat will be certain by this point.
This strategy takes some time and patience, but if you want to beat Thor without exploiting the weaknesses in the AI, then here it is.
- Do not over-expand in early-mid game. Thor usually demands that you settle less than 4 islands and have no military presence (including not having any weapon factories) - so comply with his demands and focus on your economy. You may have trouble getting to Executive level with less than 4 islands, but that's alright - get plenty of Engineers and you will be fine.
- Once you got your economy strong enough, spam the Lobby action on Thor. Raise your diplomatic rank with him until "Grace Period" action becomes available. Grace Period has a 50 minute cooldown so as long as you keep bribing him for 60 minutes of peace, you can have indefinite duration of peace with him.
- Now that he is disallowed from declaring war on you, expand across the map and build your weapon factories and all the military vehicles to your heart's desire.
- Thor has a very balanced military (air units, ships, subs), so your best bet against him is to focus on a large number of choppers (which will devastate his air units as well as surface ships), and have a small squad of either Viper or Sharks for hunting down his subs (I prefer Sharks due to their awesome firepower and super low upkeep - but that's assuming you are good enough to defeat Keto while having Thor in the mix. ;) ) Please don't bother with missiles against AI players - they have unlimited resources and will rebuild what you destroy within seconds. Unless you have like two dozen missiles and can take out his entire island in one carpet bombardment, there's simply no point.
Note: Even though Thor has Missile Launch Pads, he never uses them, so don't fear that you will become nuked by one of his nuclear missiles.
You are able to use Strindbergs's portrait and his Player Color (Beige) as your in-game appearance by gaining the achievement "Professional Solutions" and thus completing all Single Missions.